Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Life in Excess

I have come to the harsh realization that I live my life in the land of excess. In almost all areas of my life, I full fill myself with crap!!

My little sister is pregnant (yippee) and has asked for me to donate all my old maternity clothes. Since I will not be pregnant for a long time and they are short on money, I have no problem helping out. To get to the box of mat clothes I had to go through some clothes I bought for MJ for future use. OMG, I had bought so much clothing for my two year old daughter she will not wear half of it. (I would like to take a minute to explain that 95% of this excess is used clothes I have bought in a lot sale off of eBay or at consignment stores.) I realized half my boxes under the stair were clothes MJ had grown out of and that was with giving about 6 BOXES of clothes to the local children's shelter.

I was shaking my head at myself when I opened another box to find two pairs of bran-spanking new Uggs. Yes that is right, never worn Uggs. (I bought them direct from China for cheap last winter and they were too small and I always thought I would sell them but alas did not.) I have three Rubbermaid totes of clothes that do not fit me (my skinny clothes that I am hoping to fit into again) and a closet full of clothes that do fit.

Feeling like I should tighten my belt a bit I planned out my meals for this week. Before I went grocery store (see I am trying) I went to look in my freezer to see what I had in it am disgusted to say, I needed nothing. I have a freezer full of food - a small freezer (in my honesty I am trying not to feel horrible about myself). I went to looked in my fridge freezer and things fell out. So I went through my recipe books and figured out what I could make without having to buy more. I went to the grocery store and bought 80% fresh produce (there were some awesome sales that I could not pass up - I mean like $0.37 Dora and Princess canned pasta - a single mommy's dream).

So I have my meal plan which should keep my on my weight loss track right? F&%k no!! I cannot believe what crap I will stick in my mouth and what ridiculous excuses I will use not to get my ass on my treadmill (yes did I mention I have a $2000 treadmill (I got it half price on an excelled sale so I spend under a grand) which sits close to ideal in my basement. I am so scared to step on the scale cause I have lumps and bumps where I didn't a couple of months ago.

I am doing up a budget next because I also got my visa bill today, those purchases were not paid by cash. No more purchases other than necessities (and no a new shirt does not count as necessary). I will look into selling my items that are no longer needed and start using the items I should use (see treadmill).

If any one has any advise how I can stop living like a glutton, please, show me the light!!!

Desperately yours,
Moi

2 comments:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

When we were in a pretty desperate financial place, my friend did up a budget for me. We made a spreadsheet with income and fixed expenses, then started adding the un-fixed (?) expenses like groceries, entertainment, clothing. In order to make it balance, I had to do some MAJOR cutting on things that could be changed. One way I learned to stick to my budgeted spending was to go all cash. If I had planned $400 per paycheque for food (come on, feeding 7 plus a dog, and that included diapers), I took out $400 cash and put it in an envelope. Then I'd leave my debit and credit cards at home when I went to the store. Ditto entertainment, etc. I spent an entire year living out of 6 envelopes filled with cash.

As for the eating. I'm right there with ya. I'll have a good week or two, then fall off the Weight Watchers wagon. (But have you tried WW? It's a very good program!) Gotta get all the junk out of your house and fill your fridge with raw veggies (cut them all up in one shot, so there's no prep) and fruit. Fill the pantry with munchies like fat free microwave popcorn, flavoured rice cakes (which are not nearly as disgusting as the plain ones)... With WW, I get to splurge on Friday nights and have one serving of chips (about a small bag) AND a chocolate bar. If I'm careful with my extra points, I can even have a glass or two of wine and still lose. Have I mentioned that WW rocks?!

E. Tyler Rowan said...

whoa, long comment - sorry