Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Life is Wonderful

So MJ has been sick (yes again). She had a fever of 102.5 last night. I drugged her into a sleeping coma (not really, it was her bedtime any way) and this morning her temp was down to 98.5. Cool, throw some more Tylenol in her and off to work. I was contemplating staying home with her but alas, everyone is out sick, well one girl is having surgery and the other was super sick yesterday.

About noon, daycare called and MJ's temp was up to 103.3!!! Needless to say I was a little freaked. So I went to another mom in my office (lets call her Cattie) who job is not to answer the phones but who used to do my job so she know what to do. She has made a stink in the past about being pulled to answer the phones but her kid was in the hospital sick not too long ago so I thought I would get some sympathy. No such luck. She told me to find someone else cause she was busy!!!!

So I called a friend in another office to see if she could come down and help out. She said she would have to okay it with her boss but is shouldn't be a problem. At this point I BURST into tears. I was worried and frustrated. I pulled it together, apologized, and told her to let me know as soon as she could.

I emailed my boss to let her know what was going on and to ask the okay to pull in someone else. I started to put my stuff away (I was leaving no matter what, just didn't know when.) The Cattie came up and apologized for brushing me off and told me to go. (I checked my email and had to giggle a bit. My boss had no problem with my leaving, of course, but that she was directing Cattie to drop what she was doing immediately and come answer the phones so I could leave.)

So off I went to wait in the walk in clinic for 2.5 hours. Why I didn't call my doctor to see I could get into see her before I left the office is beyond my comprehension. Anywhooo.... My child has slapping disease!!! Well that is what they think it is anyway. Not a big deal unless I was pregnant. So I think she will be staying home for at least tomorrow. Not sure yet how I am going to pull that off, I am going to call the sick girl to see how she is feeling and if not, I can as the ex to come and help out. If not, I could always go in for a bit to work with a sick kid.

Why is being a single mom so much wonder and joy!!! It is not so bad, I have re-drugged her up and she is wonderfully happy watching Mickey Mouse for the fourth time since we got home which is why I have some spare time to blog. Best part is fifths disease (another name for slapping disease) is a viral infection which means MJ has no appetite so no having to cook supper for this momma tonight!!! (See, there is always a silver lining if you look close enough.)

Moi

4 comments:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Is MJ just made up? Or does it stand for something? I mean, I know her real name, but did you always secretly wish you named her Mary Jane, and as such chose MJ for her blog name?

Also, I totally feel for ya. But it's not just single moms who get stuck. I can count the sick days my hubby has spent with the kids on one finger...it always fell to me, even if I had exams or deadlines or was needed at work. It's just a part of the Mommy job description, I guess. Sigh.

Moi said...

MJ is Moi Junior. It keeps with the secrecy of my blog. With my new semi-public life I thought I was better not to name names. So everyone gets a 'fake name'. I love her real name and never ever wished to name her anything but. It was one of those names I picked for my first born girl when I was 12.

I couldn't being a single mom to five kids (realizing you are not really a single mom but you have had moments of single momdome so I know you can truly appreciate where I am coming from). It is fantastic at times, but I do realize the true and complete gift of God I have the responsibility for. A gift I would never return.

Single momdone without my family close by is exactly what I thought it would be - shitty (at times). I alway realized how fortunate I was to have all the help I did the year I lived close to them.

I look at being a single mom this way; I only have one child to look after not two (as in a two year old child and a 32 year old child). I am happy with my decisions in life, I couldn't imagine what I would do without my little angle (well I could but the thought of all the free time and lounging around just depresses me).

Best of luck with the hubby out of town, I am sure it can only get better after today.

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Ah-hah. "Moi Junior" is perfect!

I picked Clash as the name for my firstborn girl when I was 12. Glad I grew out of that phase! LOL.

Have you connected up with any other single moms in town? In college I knew a couple gals (both SMs) who exchanged childcare...not as good as family, but better than nothing.

Moi said...

Clash? That is awesome. Maybe for the 6th? lol

No good mommy friends yet. I am going to sign up for some toddler stuff in the new years so hopefully that will get me better connected. I actually got out tonight - MJ first night with a sitter (who is fabulous I might add).