Monday, May 4, 2009

T-Ball is Awful

In attempts to get MJ and myself out and meet other kids and parents I signed up for t-ball. There is actually a league in my city for children ages 2.5 to 3.5. I even signed up to be an assistant coach cause I know how hard it is to find parents to help out.

It was our first game tonight and it was such a gong show. I knew it was going to be horrible, come on, two year old trying to play any sport would not go well. That being said I cannot believe how uninvolved some parents chose to be.

The first strike when when the coach didn't show up - the one who was suppose to bring the equipment. So while her husband ran around trying to find out where it actually was, there was 20 odd toddlers standing around with nothing to do. An inventive (mind you clueless) dad took the initiative to play 'Simon says'. Great gusto but none of the kids really got the game.

Now I stepped up the plate, so to speak, and became the events planner. I started with a great game of ring around the rosie, followed with a sing along of twinkle twinkle and isty bisty spider and finished up with running around the field acting like maniacs and imitating various animals. Parents just kinda let me take their kids where ever and no one stepped in to help out unless their kid was crying.

Then the equipment showed up and it was game on!!

Most children has two parents who accompanied them to tonight's fiasco. Half of the parents there barely interacted with their children. So I helped my team and the other team bat, run the bases and throw the ball all while trying to control MJ. While doing all of this MJ and another kid took off into the field to chase each other - the other mom actually looked at me and asked if I was going to get them. I seriously felt like I was herding drunk monkeys the entire time. A half an hour seriously lasted for what seemed like two hours.

I am just bitter cause the wound is still fresh. Tomorrow is a new day. At least it is a day without t-ball!!

Assistant Coach Moi

1 comments:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Oh yuck! Parented swim lessons and t-ball - you are a glutton for punishment. LOL.