Saturday, May 2, 2009

Just Cause I Am a Girl Doesn't Mean I Can't Do It

Men piss me off. Right now is my dad. I am primed and pumped to start renos. I was going to start with my bathroom, as I mentioned before. In addition to a mirror, I am also going to have to relocate a light fixture 1/2 a foot. When I called my dad to find out how hard it was to do he told me (in the most patronizing voice) that don't do anything till he come is case I do it wrong.

Now I know my limits, I do. But there are many things I am fully capable of doing on my own. I have been through two home renovations and have learned a lot. I had an electrician come and teach my how to replace outlets and light fixtures, I can paint a ceiling like a pro, can cut in with the best of them and can even lay lino (as long as there is no seams. I am not an idiot.

I don't mind not knowing how to do everything but I hate when people tell me I can't. Not just in home renovations, but in everything I do. I feel like getting a how to book and doing it myself. Me electrocuting myself is stopping me. I know my dad is trying to make my life easier and keep me safe. I might be able to prove him wrong, but killing myself trying isn't something I want to try to do.

So I have decided to start in another nook of the house. I am going to paint my entry way. If that goes well, I will continue into my living room. There are certain walls that I won't do because it would be pointless due to work coming, but that doesn't mean I can't contribute to the overall progress.

Handily Yours,
Moi

0 comments: