Thursday, February 18, 2010

Wholy Ranting and Raving Batman

I have something to confess. I have lost 6.5 pounds in two days. Now that is after a rapid 6 pound weight gain. On Tuesday evening for some unknown reason I stepped on the scale (something I normally save till the morning when I am naked) and I was shocked and appalled. I weighted more than when I started this competition. I was mortified. I was torn between vomiting or eating a bag of chips followed by a tub of ice cream. I did neither but went to bed resolved to get my ass in gear. Well, I got my period yesterday and by this morning I was down 6.5 pounds from my atrocious weight of Tuesday evening. Man being a women wreaks havoc on your body. (I have an IUD so my periods are few and far between. The downside is that I never really know when the next one will hit.)

For the past two nights, my sweet and angelic daughter has gotten up super early (3:30 am and 4:30 am). When she wakes up that early, the easiest thing is to just bring her into my bed to fall quickly back to sleep. The down side of that is no 5 am workouts. As I didn't have anything laid out, I would have to turn the lights on and wake up said angle and trust me, the angle is only an angle when she gets sleep. That is okay though cause I went for an awesome walk yesterday during my lunch break and plan to do some treadmill running tonight to make up for it.

I have been struggling today and yesterday with my new commitment. For Lent I have decided to give up chocolate. Now I did this before my beautiful friend Tyler wrote about Lent and how what we give up should not give me a side benefit (i.e. losing weight). I seriously struggled with this all day today. Tyler gave me an out to my commitment and that is what I have been looking for since I decided to give it up (and trust me I have thought about it a tonne since I made the decision on Tuesday - yeah that's right two days ago). The thought of going without chocolate for 40 days makes me nervous and anxious. I keep trying to make up little rules that would allow me to have chocolate and still keep my commitment. Rules like I can have chocolate if is a special occasion (umm Monday's counts right) or if it was of a benefit to me (chocolate protein shake) or if it wasn't really chocolate (Chocolate Mint Oolong Tea). I then realized I must give up chocolate for Lent as it would make me uncomfortable. I do not eat enough chocolate to make me fat and I don't think that stopping eating chocolate would really have that much affect on total weight loss but I do think it will teach me to go without and to self sacrifice a little.

I have decided I am going to try and photograph my meals. Now this may become very boring as I eat very repetitiously. I eat virtually the same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday and only eat one or two different things for supper each week. (So boring I know but cooking for a toddler and myself is hard so I cook once and eat two or three times from it. I have tried freezing meals but not everything freezes well. Plus I really don't mind.) I may thing about this some more before I jump right into it. What I really want to do is share more of my delicious healthy things I make. I read a lot of blogs where the recipes they post are just not my taste and if I feel that way I am sure someone else does too.

I did get to go shopping today. The Gap was having a one day 40% off sale. I didn't try anything I bought on cause it was way too busy for that but the keepers I bought are too small on me. I am going to work to get into these beautiful new sale item. I know, not the smartest thing to do but I want to lose weight and I have enough fat clothes.

Sorry for the random ranting, many things on my mind and truly this is the way my life goes sometime. It is so nice just to let them all out so I can happily go on with my evening.

Have a great night!!

5 comments:

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Good for you, my friend! Your sacrifice will bless the heart of God. (And I agree, giving up chocolate would be H-A-R-D.)

FYI, I always seem to lose an absurd amount of weight with my cycle, too. Unfortunately, it doesn't usually stay away. Grrr.

Ellura said...

Hey, all that femal stuff is annoying! Wait until you get old - they get worse. I just wanted you to have something to look forward to. haha

Good luck giving up your chocolate. I think that is a great commitment. I'm sure you will do great. I am trying to stay off sugar in general right now and it is soooo tough but it feels so good to do it and not let it control me. :) Even if it is just one day a time...

I'm looking forward to your recipes - I think we are all looking for some good healthy recipes.

oh yeah, you better post pics when you fit into your new clothes!

Carmen said...

My weight is consistently 2lbs less in the morning than in the evening, that is why it is so important to weigh yourself at the same time of day.

I think giving up chocolate for Lent totally makes sense and it is a sacrifice for you, so good luck!

Karilynn said...

I have the same IUD and yeah.. the period thing freaks me out. I actually went months without them but since I've lost weight they've become more regular and YES.. there is nothing more devestating then standing on that scale and seeing a HUGE increase. From now on you can ASSUME it's the signs of the impending period! ;o) Congrats on giving up chocolate. I think it's the perfect sacrifice. And truly.. the benefits will always be there... we learn that we are strong and can live without things when we give them up for whatever reason.
Love your randomness!

Annika said...

Oh I am the same way, that is why I try not to get near a scale the days before my period!
Great blog!
All my best,
Annika