Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ugh!! I get it and am moving on


My hormones are going wonky. I didn't have a period for like two and a half months (due to IUD not pregnancy) but have had like 6 periods in two weeks. This sucks. Now they are not full blown periods but it has made my life difficulty. I don't know if it’s related but the weight has not been coming off either. I have been eating well (not withstanding the one day of salty nuts) and completed the challenge of 5 workouts last week.

I was seriously getting down on myself until I read this on Sparkspeople.

"Because we are all experiments of one" we cannot compare our weight loss to the rate at which others lose. For many people, the results can take as long as 8 weeks before they show up on the scale, but that does not mean the changes aren't happening. Because our bodies are largely made up of water, any deviation in our diet, hydration, workouts, even hormones can lead to a big shift on the scale.


Know that all changes within the body must begin at the cellular level...all the way down to the fat cells need to release the free fatty acids, to the muscle cells making bigger and more numerous mitochondria-these are the organelles within the cells-to give us energy.


It isn't uncommon to see a slight upward shift in weight when we start exercising and eating better. For one the muscles are making more mitochondria which allow for extra glycogen-stored glucose in the cells- therefore, your body hangs on to more water to help with the cooling off process for exercise and for helping process energy. Your muscles will also have an increase in blood volume in order to have better availability to oxygen and removing waste, especially lactic acid. These things coupled with eating higher fiber foods, such as fruits and veggies can show a gain, when in all reality it is just a shift in fluids.

So I took that to mean don't give up. (Not like I would :P) For the coming week I have planned out all of my meals and workouts. I am not going to let a zero weight loss get me down. I may not kick ass in February but I am on my way to a healthier lifestyle and a smaller waistline. I don’t consider this a setback; I am on my way down.

Some things I learnt this last week:

1. I love, love, love hot yoga. Had my first class on Saturday and will definitely be going back.

2. When work is stressful, a leisurely run at lunch will definitely make your day better.

3. Doing yoga in front of mirrors made me realize how fat I am. Need to step it up. I really didn’t know I had that many lumps.

4. When someone says, I don’t mean to sound like a bitch; they are going to be a bitch. Let them say what they want. They really want to show you how wonderful they are.

5. I am not to be trusted around salty nuts.

Hope everyone has a great week. Sorry I am behind on my blog reading again. The cleaning of my house came before blog commenting today.

1 comments:

Spitfire said...

For some reason I did not realise you are a fellow Canadian. :o)
And I totally loved your blog...haha...especially your insights at the end. Btw, I think you should NEVER do Yoga in front of a mirror, it would totally deflate you and who needs that?! Plus, I think I would die in Hot Yoga!!!