Sunday, October 18, 2009

Breakfast Ideas

Breakfast is always a challenge. I need to eat breakfast but don't usually have time to prepare anything the morning of. I am really not a cereal or bagel kind of girl either. I need substance in the morning. If I am totally desperate I can get away with a fiber one bar and piece of fruit but I feel deprived and snack all day to make up for it. Here are a few of my favorite breakfast staples that are either make ahead or quick and easy.

Steel Cut Oats
No not oatmeal. WAY BETTER. Steel cut oats are oatmeal like but they do not have the consistency of baby food. They are hardy and wonderful. The reason that this s my number one choice is that I make a big pot on the weekend and portion it out for an easy pick during the week. Even better is the versatility. You can change the flavour of it depending on what you are craving. Some of my favorite toppings are: fruit, flax seed, cinnamon, brown sugar, honey, goji, berries, raisins, peanut butter, toffee bits, jam or a combination of them all. (2.5 to 4 points depending on what you put into it)

Eggs in a Cup
I have to admit I stole this from Hungry Girl. Spray a large microwave-safe mug lightly with nonstick spray. Add half a cup of egg whites and a slice of laughing cow cheese and stir. Microwave for about a minute. Stir gently, and then microwave for another 30 - 45 seconds, until scramble is just set. You can put anything in them that you want. I like to put in a tablespoon of a cheese and chive potato topper and it turns out fantastic. If I feel the need for carbs, I put it in a wrap. (2 to 5 points, depending on the extras and what you use for a wrap)

Breakfast Casserole
This is my favorite Breakfast Casserole ever. I am a Eat, Shrink and Be Merry cookbook addict. I have made most recipes form the book and now working my way through Greata and Janet's first two cook books. I love this recipe. I make it at least once a month. It freezes well and I will eat it for breakfast, lunch or supper. (4 points)

Most Egg-cellent Breakfast Strata
Yield: 8

Per serving: 245 calories, 11.4 g total fat (4.4 g saturated fat), 19 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g fibre, 241 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium

Ingredients:
3 cups low-fat herb-seasoned croutons
8 oz light mild Italian sausage (I usually use turkey bacon)
1 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup minced onions
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese
8 x omega-3 eggs
1 cup 2% evaporated milk or light (5%) cream
1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Spray an 11 x 7-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread croutons evenly in bottom of dish. Set aside.
Spray a medium, non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Remove and discard casing from sausage. Break or cut sausage into small pieces and add to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking up any large pieces. Add zucchini, onions and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for about 3 more minutes, until vegetables begin to soften.
To assemble strata, spoon sausage mixture evenly over croutons. Top with shredded cheese. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage and vegetables. Let strata stand for 15 minutes while you preheat oven to 350°F.
Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes, until eggs are completely set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving


I hope this helps for those of you who are struggling with breakfast. I will try to post some more of my favorite fabulous for you recipes.

6 comments:

rochelle said...

Those all sound yummy! The casserole is such a good idea for those cold fall/winter mornings. I'll give them a try for sure!

Jewel said...

Yummy! I love great breakfast ideas. Oatmeal with tons of stuff in it and yogurt also piled with stuff are my faves.

But I will have to try some of your egg ideas too...they sound good and a nice change.

Vicki said...

Thanks for sharing -- those sound great.

Mindy said...

I struggle with breakfast as well so those are all excellent ideas! i love it! thanks!

Christen Farmer said...

sounds like a great casserole recipe. i'll have to give it a try. thanks.

Ellura said...

steel cut oats? I guess I don't know what they are - old oatmeal does not sound good but the make ahead and grab idea does! I will have to look for them and give it a try. Thanks for the ideas!