Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Day Has Come

It’s January 5, 2010 and there are two things happening today. First, the fantastic weight loss competition beings (which I am super excited for an honestly, really need right now). Secondly, I have two beautiful friends right now how are having lap band surgery performed in Tijuana, Mexico. (For those new to my blog, I live in Canada, home of universal health care so the thought of travelling out of country for surgery gives me the creepy crawlers.)

I am not here to bash their choice, that would be unfair and not very nice, but rather I wanted to point out the irony. We will all be trying to lose weight by very different measures. One is reasonable in my mind and the other is reasonable in theirs. I wish them all the luck and success in the world but am scared for them.

Seeing people drawn to those measures renews my commitment to lose my weight the right way. I am currently in a state where I am uncomfortable in my own body and need a serious change. I will post my weight and pictures later so that everyone can see why I need the change but I know that I have to do it, I don’t want to be fat anymore and I don’t want to end up on a operating table in Mexico.

Here we go, good luck to all my fellow competitors. I wish you all success!!!


Note: Here are my pics. I wasn't go to post them until I saw some of the other brave souls lay it on the line. Here they are.

Official weigh in






3 comments:

Karilynn said...

Seriously... those surgeries are a joke. Very few people actually do well and the idea of going to Mexico.. Oy... The point is that with or without the lap band.. (or gastric bypass) people have to make hUGE changes to be successful at weight loss. People think there is an easy way out but there just isn't! Invasive surgery still requires you to change everything about the way you eat. At first you have the consequence.. I.E> you when you overeat you puke... but... eventually you get that stomach good and stretched out again and you are back to overeating and being overweight. It's SO MUCH EASIER to just change your life without the knife... Congrats on starting this journey and staying the hell away from Mexico! ;o)

OldGoogleAccount said...

I don't blame you for being worried about your friends. I would be too. And I applaud you for committing to doing it "au naturel"! Good luck with your challenge.

Ellura said...

I've met many people who had the surgery and it was a great success. They were so happy with it and they were able to maintain. However, I have a mother and sister who had the surgeries. After watching my mom, I will NEVER do it. Good luck with this comp. I always love reading your posts. You have a great sense of humor and are so positive. Good luck with this comp. I am soooo excited about this one too!